Saturday, September 10, 2016

Lead and Saturn

Lead is one of the elements that doesn't directly translate to personal characteristic. It represents the first step of an alchemical process. It is the death that precedes rebirth. It is also represented by saturn. That may be an easier allegory to explore.

Saturn became the god of time and that may be the sphere we most attribute to him, today. Carl Jung associated nigredo (the darkness that represents that first stage of alchemy) with the Dark Night of the Soul. Like with alchemy, this was a first step, described by a christian saint, in the passage of a man's soul into the arms of God.

I'll be thinking on all of these items this week. I feel that I'd like to link Saturn to the traditional RPG characteristic of constitution, where it represents the ability to renew itself, to weather tribulations and emerge stronger than before. It may just take a trip to the thesaurus to figure this one out.

In my searching on the internet, I found a research paper on alchemical symbolism. I'll have to have a read through it, this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment