Tuesday, September 13, 2016

More on Saturn, The Sun

My comments regarding Saturn as the God of Time were incorrect. I must have made that association myself, somehow.

Regardless, Saturn's complicated sphere of influence doesn't seem to help me narrow down Lead's alchemical attributes. I think we should revisit lead itself and the concept of nigredo. Lead represents the energies of destruction, death, and notably, rebirth.  This tracks with modern culture representations of Saturn, too, such as Sailor Saturn! She was the Sailor Scout imbued with the powers of death, destruction, and rebirth.

As far as our mechanics go, I believe this may play perfectly into our hands. One of the purposes of the "Fortune" state I have in mind is for players to spend points from this pool to avoid death. Death dodged in this way will leave scars on the player, permanent states that cause the player to evolve over time.

Each of the stats will receive description in the book and I can go into the 'rebirth' component of this stat to properly link it with lead. For now, I believe this is the best candidate for our 'Fortune' statistic.

Our attention turns instead to 'Gold' and the Sun. After consulting the spheres of influence of various sun gods, such as Apollo, youthfulness, vitality, and health seem to be common trends. I believe the Sun will do well to represent our characters vitality.

So, for statistics, our tentative plan is:

Lead, Saturn, Fortune
Tin, Jupiter, Wisdom
Iron, Mars, Strength
Gold, The Sun, Vitality
Copper, Venus, Charisma
Mercury, Mercury, Speed
Silver, The Moon, Focus

I plan to do a quick sketch of each of these planets superimposed over a drawing of a human person, mimicking similar drawings that locate the chakra points on a person. Maybe I can do that this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment