Sunday, September 18, 2016

Research

I spent some time this weekend watching the old Star Trek episodes. I need to put Lost in Space in my queue.

I'm encouraged in my core thesis for the game. In an idyllic futuristic society, I think many imagine that technology and science will answer all questions. However, in Star Trek, the crew is routinely (even weekly) confronted by phenomena that they can't understand. While their science and technology come to bare, it is the human virtues of the characters that overcome the mysteries.

Some of the characters are logical and solve problems through reason and that is commendable. But held in similar esteem are the characters who demonstrate courage, even reckless courage, and the victories won through instinct and bravery.

The characters in this game will be equipped to take things to fisticuffs. They will be strong and capable of withstanding terrible injuries only to bounce back into the struggle the next week.

Also, there will be a limit to their technology. Mysteries will have the strength to endure, dangers will defy analysis, and the greatest threats to humanity will be inscrutable.

No comments:

Post a Comment